Local news for Upstate SC, Western NC and NE Georgia.
Local News from 7News WSPA
- Buying a car? Pandemic drives prices up, steers buyers away February 25, 2021Prices of new vehicles far outpaced overall consumer inflation over the past year. In response, many buyers who were priced out of that market turned to used vehicles. Yet their demand proved so potent that used-vehicle prices soared even more than new ones did.
- DHEC: 896 new coronavirus cases, 25 additional deaths reported in SC February 25, 2021State health officials announced 896 new coronavirus cases in South Carolina Wednesday along with 25 additional confirmed deaths.
- 'Real world' test of Pfizer COVID vaccine confirms effectiveness at preventing illness, even after single dose February 25, 2021A real-world test of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine in more than half a million people confirms that it’s very effective at preventing serious illness or death, even after one dose.
- Firefighter killed in crash was just starting out career; Chiefs comment on his passion for the job February 25, 2021The community is mourning the loss of a firefighter who died in a motorcycle accident Wednesday morning.
- Federal watchdog blasts FAA over certification of Boeing jet February 25, 2021Federal auditors say U.S. regulators didn’t understand a flight-control system that played a role in two deadly crashes of a Boeing jet and must improve their process for certifying new planes.
- $15 minimum wage: Where the debate and alternatives stand February 25, 2021Consensus is building on Capitol Hill around an increase to the federal minimum wage, but the final passage of any legislation appears to hinge on swaying key moderate Democrats or building a bipartisan coalition in support of the pay increase.
- Woman jokes about unfortunate pre-pandemic tattoo that left her 'mortified' February 25, 2021While some people worry about their tattoos fading over time, one Kentucky woman's ink has aged worse than she could have imagined in less than a year, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- One dead in single-vehicle Pickens Co. crash on Prince Perry Rd. February 25, 2021PICKENS COUNTY, S.C. (WSPA) - One person has died after a crash in Pickens County that happened on Wednesday. The crash happened on Prince Perry Rd. near BJ Drive at about 3:33 p.m., according to South Carolina Highway Patrol. The driver of a 2004 Volvo was traveling north on Prince Perry Rd. when they ran […]
- Michigan high school basketball player praised for act of kindness toward opponent February 25, 2021A Michigan high school basketball player is being recognized for a quiet act of kindness last week toward a member of the opposing team.
- Senator Tim Scott hosts virtual meeting aimed at bettering HBCUs, advancing Black community February 25, 2021UPSTATE, S.C. (WSPA) - South Carolina Republican Senator Tim Scott is striving to improve relationships, funding and opportunities for students who attend Historically Black Colleges and Universities. In December, Sen. Scott unanimously passed the HBCU Propelling Agency Relationships Towards a New Era of Results for Students (PARTNERS) Act to strengthen relationships between federal agencies and […]
- Saudi Arabia says crown prince had 'successful' surgery February 24, 2021Saudi Arabia's royal court says Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman underwent a “successful surgery” for appendicitis on Wednesday, and left the hospital soon after the operation.
- Australian bid put on IOC fast track to host 2032 Olympics February 24, 2021Did the Australian city of Brisbane just get picked as the host of the 2032 Olympics?
- United Way of Anderson Co. needs your help to supply hundreds of kids with weekend meals February 24, 2021ANDERSON COUNTY, SC (WSPA)--The United Way of Anderson County is asking for your help, as it continues to provide meals for children over the weekend. The group said many children in the five school districts in the county, have nothing to eat when they're not in school. Leaders believe community support is critical in making […]
- Laurens Co. School District 55 installs book vending machines at elementary schools February 24, 2021Laurens Elementary School Principal Randy Dendy loves to see his students get excited about learning. District 55's new $4,000 book-dispensing vending machines -- now installed and operational in all district elementary schools -- hit the mark; before the machines were even stocked, students were already stoked.
- Teachers in N.C. eligible to get vaccine February 24, 2021POLK COUNTY, N.C. (WSPA)- As of Wednesday, North Carolina's teachers are eligible to be vaccinated against Covid-19. As some of the world has paused amid the pandemic, schools have found ways to keep the wheels turning. "I think we need to remember that there have been a lot of people out there that have been […]
- Vaccinated for virus, Jimmy Carter and wife back in church February 24, 2021Now that former President Jimmy Carter and his wife are vaccinated against COVID-19, they have been able to return to worshipping at their beloved church.
- Missing boy near Laurens Co. school found safe February 24, 2021UPDATE: A missing fourth grader Harley Arrington has been found safe after going missing near Hickory Tavern School on Wednesday, Laurens County Sheriff's Office deputies said. LAURENS COUNTY, S.C. (WSPA) - Deputies are searching for a boy who has gone missing near a school in Laurens County on Wednesday. Laurens County Sheriff's office deputies are […]
- McDonald's debuts new menu item -- three times over February 24, 2021There's something new on McDonald’s menu, and it's joining the growing trend of spotlighting chicken.
- Georgia senators vote to end twice-yearly time changes February 24, 2021Georgia senators want to stop changing their clock twice a year, saying shifting from standard time to daylight saving time and back is disruptive.
- What's next for Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh's fortune? Longtime friend files lawsuits February 24, 2021Tony Hsieh was worth an estimated $840 million, documents filed in court by his longtime assistant and friend say.