Experience a ‘glimpse of India’ this weekend in Greenville
India Association of Greenville (IAG) will hold its annual India Day in downtown Greenville on Saturday, August 20.
The free event will be held at the Peace Center, located at 300 S Main Street, from 9 a.m. until 10 p.m.
This year’s theme is Raising Awareness on Mental Health, and proceeds will benefit mental awareness, according to IAG’s website.
It will coincide with India’s Independence Day celebrations and will offer a “glimpse” of India through art, dance, fashion, food, interactive exhibits, performances, sports and much more.
“The event will showcase the unique traditions, culture, and cuisines of modern day India, with a keen eye on its glorious heritage,” according to IAG’s website. “We expect upwards of 10,000 visitors to grace this occasion.”
- 9 a.m. – Open Mat Yoga
- 10 a.m. – Talk on Mental Wellness
- 11 a.m. – Parade / Food and Drink Area Opens
- Noon – American and Indian Flag Hoisting followed by National Anthems
- 12:30 p.m. – Little Divas, Shloka Rendering, Indian Patriotic Song
- 1 p.m. – Solo Classical Odissi performance, Solo Bharatanatyam Dance, Bharata Natyam group dance-Tamill, Classical Odissi Dance, Shiva Tandava Stotram
- 2 p.m. – Healthy Eating for Mental Health Cooking Show, Classical Bansuri Performance, Bollywood’s Little Groovers, Shiva Panchakshara Stotram, Bollywood medley, Sweethearts of Bollywood
- 3 p.m. – Solo Hindi Vocal Songs, Folk Dances of India, Ae Watan, Mere dholna, Telugu dance performance
- 4 p.m. – Vegetarian Cooking Show, Classical Bansuri Performance, Bollywood Beats with ‘Move your lukk’, Solo Dance Performance, Sri Vigna Rajam Bhaje, Kerala Traditional Style Thiruvathirakali Dance, Dance Revolution
- 5 p.m. Nachle, Taal Se Taal, All Stars, Bollywood dance, Disney’s ‘Frozen’, Rangisari
- 6 p.m. – Festivals of India, Dhamaka Gang Angels, Urban Tadka
- 6:30 p.m. – Modern Indo-Western Fashion Show for Mental Health
- 7:30 p.m. – Jugnu Ishiqui
- 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. – Bollywood Dance Party with live DJ
For more information, visit IAG’s website or Facebook page.