Azilenn Turner’s Tomato Pie is a finalist in the Carolina Eats Holiday Homestyle Recipe Sweepstakes
Thought to be created in the Carolinas long before pizza became an American favorite, tomato pie is a classic Southern dish.
Azilenn Turner of Greenville submitted her recipe for Tomato Pie in the Carolina Eats Holiday Homestyle Recipe Sweepstakes presented by Ingles and found herself among the sweepstakes’ four finalists. This recipe is easy to make and gets a thumbs up from Turner’s husband. And it works with canned or fresh tomatoes.
Turner is one of four finalists in the Carolina Eats Holiday Homestyle Recipe Sweepstakes presented by Ingles. Each finalist receives a $250 Ingles gift card, with the grand prize winner, drawn at random, receiving a $500 gift certificate from Bob Burnett’s Appliance & Bedding Center in Spartanburg.
Finalists also appeared in person or via Zoom with Jamarcus Gaston and Ingles Chef Jasmin Queen on WSPA’s Your Carolina show.
- 2 cans diced tomato
- Garlic powder
- Pillsbury Grands! biscuits
- Mix 2 cans diced tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper and 2 pinches of garlic salt in a bowl
- Place mixture in casserole dish
- Spread grated cheddar cheese on top
- Cut biscuits in half and spread across the top
- Bake 20-30 minutes at 375 to 400 degrees until biscuits brown